Thursday, November 29, 2007

how being hairdresser prepared me for motherhood

Prior to having twins, I was a hairdresser for a number of years. It occurred to me recently that, in many ways, my former occupation prepared me quite well for my new one.

Here are just a few of the ways...

When you are a (stylist or mother), you find yourself going to work early and/or working late to meet the needs of (clients or babies).

As a (stylist or mother), you must listen to requests, orders, and demands from (clients or babies) who may or may not know how to communicate their desires to you in a fashion which you can understand.

Your (clients or kids) may call you during your 'off' time, seem almost surprised when you (answer or appear), and then seem to have no idea what they wanted to begin with.

Sometimes a (stylist or mother) must give her (clients or kids) what they CAN have in an effort to compromise with them on what they WANT to have but for whatever reason, cannot have.

As a stylist, I learned to eat while standing over the washing machine or dryer, waiting on fresh towels, while returning phone calls to clients. I also learned to quickly navigate the salon floor while carrying smelly chemicals in one hand and the client's beverage or snack in the other...

... as a mother, I can eat while standing at the washing machine and dryer, waiting on fresh 'onesies', while ignoring phone calls. I can quickly navigate my kitchen floor while carrying a smelly baby in one hand and the other baby's beverage or snack in the other.

When I was a stylist, I cheerfully brought Cokes or sandwiches to my clients to enjoy, knowing that I would likely not find the time to eat because of my too-hectic day; and as a mother, I feed my babies multiple times a day, rarely finding time for feeding myself because of my too-hectic day.

When I worked outside the home, I dressed in clothing that pleased me... after first acknowledging it very well may be ruined that day due to messy co-workers leaving smears of hair color on various surfaces in the salon. As a mother, I dress in clothing that pleases me, knowing full well it may be be ruined (or at least become very dirty) due to messy babies leaving smears of food or spit on every surface I can come into contact with in my home.

As a stylist, I found myself waiting until I got a break in my day to use the restroom, only there were no breaks and if I had to go in the morning, I'd still be having to go at closing time. As a mother, I find myself waiting until I get a break in my day to use the restroom, only there are no breaks and I sometimes wish I could diaper myself...

As a (stylist or mother), after a particularly stressful day, or preceding a day when I knew I'd be faced with a difficult (client or baby), I can be absolutely exhausted, but still have trouble falling to sleep at night.

Lastly, as a (stylist or mother), I have sometimes felt unappreciated for the real effort I make to take care of my (clients or babies). Being a (hairdresser or mother) is often a thankless job (at least, being thanked enough!). People who are not (stylists or mothers) may not realize the amount of care, time, sometimes even tears, and sweat-effort we put into our (clients or babies).

*********************

Of course I know that being a mother is not something I do for the 'thanks'. I didn't do hair for that reason, either. Suffice it to say that I tend to try to see and learn all the lessons I am given in life, because I believe that we are empowered with all the tools we need along the way to be successful at whatever we choose to do. I am always grateful for my mistakes because they help me learn and reinforce each lesson in my mind, and, especially this time of year, I am thankful for all of my blessings (though sometimes they are keenly disguised, I must admit!).

In case I don't get a chance to post again until the New Year...
...Best Wishes to All!!!!

1 comment:

zombieswan said...

I won't even go there on how being a teacher is similar to having twins. I do NOT want to think too hard on it. :)