Monday, October 8, 2007

20 years

Well, we took the trip to IA for John's class reunion. I would call it a success; Jackson threw one fit on the way there and one on the way home, and we ignored them both (it wasn't lunch time and he had been changed, so we just kept moving along). The first night, neither Jackson nor Evelyn wanted to sleep, so John had to stay with them for the night and I was just sure every night was going to be that way and was honestly ready to head for home right then. I'd been up since 5 that morning, packing and getting myself ready since we'd be on the road during my usual shower time, and I wasn't really able to deal with two screaming infants that evening and still catch up on pumping... so,once again, I'll say 'thank God for my husband!'

I didn't get to wear the anthropologie dress I posted in a previous blog; we decided to go more casual in order to make packing and getting ready easier. We knew it would be hard to leave the twins for the first time to go to the reunion, and thought not having to iron would simplify things (it did). Instead, I opted for a black top and pencil jeans with peep toe pumps. I was comfortable and it was nice to be out, though I will say, for various reasons, the reunion was not the most fun I have ever had...

My husband's high school girlfriend was there, and although I am 100% secure that my husband would never even wonder about 'what might have been' with this girl, I did want to meet her. I thought she was probably a very nice girl and saw no reason she and I wouldn't get along. At the time of the reunion dinner, I'd seen her 2 other times when I had been in town over the years and she'd avoided my introduction both times. At the dinner, she did it again.

This chic waited until my husband left my side to use the restroom and then made her way to him to chat. That journey was a much greater distance, considering she was only at the next table from us prior to the restroom break -- the restrooms were on the far side of the hall-- but apparently a more convenient locale for her to catch up with John, who was then unfettered by me. After the 2 other evasions (and I won't go into the Christmas cards addressed ONLY to my husband and making no mention of me even though she was well aware we were living together), I have decided that if she hasn't got enough class to be cordial with me nearly 20 years after she and my husband's break-up (which was well before he ever met me), then I would just let my visions of making her acquaintance go as well.

By the way, I later saw her with her digital camera taking pictures of us from a few feet away; I guess she assumed we were so engrossed in conversation that we didn't see her... so sad (and weird!)

Leaving the twins was surprisingly easy for me, though not as easy for my husband. They were asleep at my in-laws' house with 2 aunts and a grandma to watch over them and never knew we were gone, but he worried the entire time, even checking to see if he could hear anything from outside the house, outside their bedroom window, before we even got in the car. I don't know how many times he checked the cell phone for messages, and asked about 10 times if we should call to check up on them. I was so happy it wasn't me who had the anxiety!

Overall, it was nice to get away and nice to get out alone as well... but, as always, really, really nice to be home too (although it seems today I am 'paying' for all that good behavior I had over the weekend -- Jackson is back to his screaming again).

No comments: